For some dog owners, grooming is a chore. Having a high-quality dog dryer can cut your grooming time and the drying process in half. There are many different kinds of dog dryers on the market, including various types, brands, and sizes.
We’ve compiled a list of 10 of our favorite dryers including our top pick, the K-9 III Dog Grooming Dryer. We have also summarized the characteristics that we think you should consider before purchasing a dog dryer.
Purchasing the Best Dryer for Dog Grooming
You may have already learned the hard way that using a regular hair dryer won’t cut it when you’re drying your dog. Dog grooming dryers are designed specifically for dogs and their unique coat types. We are going to provide the different characteristics below that we feel you should consider.
Types of Dryers
Let’s start with what may be the most important factor. What type of dryer do you need and want? There are four types of dog dryers: High velocity, cage, stand, and handheld dryers. Each serve their drying purpose in a different way and depending on your dog’s temperament, one may be better for you than another.
High Velocity Dryers
High-velocity dryers are meant to blow out a lot of air at a quick rate to get your dog as dry as possible in the least amount of time. These popular with the professional groomer because they really get the water out fast.
Some high velocity dryers include a heating element, while others will simply blow cool air out. These dryers also can be purchased at a variety of price levels, so you should be able to find one in your budget.
Though technology has come a long way in helping to reduce noise, high velocity dryers still tend to make a decent amount of noise. Skittish pups may hate the noise and having to stand closer to the dryer because of its cord and hose length.
Cage dryers are designed to blow dry your dog while they are inside their kennel. They are great for restless dogs who struggle with staying still during a grooming session because your dog is free to move about their kennel.
However, cage dryers are not ideal for dogs with thick hair, since they generally push out less air. If you want to purchase a cage dryer but have a dog with long thick hair, make sure to get a cage dryer that has a higher CFM (more on that below…it’s all about the airflow).
Another option would be to use a handheld blow dryer following the use of a cage dryer. This option allows the cage dryer to get rid of some if not most of the excess water, while the handheld dryer can finish up the job.
Stand dryers are commonly used by professional dog groomers. It’s highly recommended that dogs are groomed while they are standing or sitting on an elevated surface. A stand dryer enables you to do just that. They also allow for more hands-free movement.
They can be bulky since they do include a stand along with the dryer. If you aren’t sure that you have storing space or a dedicated area for drying your dog with a standing dryer, then this might not be the ideal option for you.
Handheld blow dryers are as close to the human hair dryers you might have around the house. They are small and portable and can be easily held in your hand. They do not require extra hoses and are ideal for traveling. If your dog is small with thin hair, then a handheld dryer may be the most ideal. They don’t have tons of airflow.
A handheld dryer is well suited for dog owners who travel often with their dogs since all you need is an electrical outlet and you’re good to go!
High-quality dryers can cost a lot so choosing a dryer designed with durable materials is a good idea, since it should increase the longevity of the product.
Rust-controlled steel and impact-resistant materials are features worth investing in. Metallic materials have a higher chance of rusting, so opting for rust-controlled steel will lower the risk of rusting over time. There’s always the risk of accidentally dropping or knocking the dryer so impact-resistant materials might just be the saving grace you need.
Cubic Feet Per Meter
Time for a little ‘groomer lingo’. Grooming dryers are measured by cubic feet per meter (CFM), which specifically measures the amount of air dryers blow. As you would expect, a dryer with more air output will have a higher CFM. Though it may seem like a higher CFM rating would be an automatic perk, that is not always the case.
Dryers with a low CFM rating are better for dogs with thinner and shorter coats because of their sensitive skin. However, dogs like Huskies, Malamutes, and Newfoundlands would definitely require a heavier duty dryer with a higher CFM rating. A dryer with multiple airflow options is key.
Dryers will always make noise, but there are features you can look for that may help reduce it. Choosing a dryer with varying flow options will enable you to choose the speed that makes the least amount of noise. If your dog panics at the sound of a roaring dryer, then having the option to tone down the speed is a must-have.
If your dog is skittish with noises, then a dryer with a polymer housing unit may be a better fit for you since it absorbs more sound. Some dryers, like stand dryers, may include vibration padding to help alleviate excess noise. Generally, manufacturers like to advertise their sound-proofing technology, so read the product description for their sales pitches regarding noise level.
Before moving on to our review and recommendations, watch this tutorial video on dog drying. In the video, you’ll see several different types of dryers with explanations on how to use them.
Review of the Best 10 Dryers
- EC K-9 III Blower/Dryer PURPLE
- K-9 III PURPLE Blower Dryer
The K-9 III Dog Grooming Dryer is our favorite choice because of its professional-grade design, power, and durability. It is designed with two motors and the outside casing is constructed of steel. It includes two air speeds and a heat emitter.
Since it really has some horsepower, this dryer is ideal for dogs with thick long dog fur who generally take a long time to dry. With this dryer, expect to cut your drying time in half!
- Professional grade dryer model
- Designed with two motors for ultimate power
- Durable steel design
- Dries quickly so it will save you both time and effort
- Heats quickly
- Includes a 10ft hose
- Two nozzles with filters
- Has 118 CFM rating
- Two speed options
- May not be recommended for drying sensitive areas since it does have an exceptionally powerful motor
- Portable, fast dog grooming dryer saves you time and effort by quickly drying short-haired large and...
- Compact and lightweight – use on the floor or table top, standing vertically or horizontally
This dryer by Metro Vacuum is portable, functional, and a great competitor. It is lightweight and compact, despite its steel exterior design. Its 6ft hose and 12ft cord will help you have more flexibility while grooming, as well as the ability to catch your pooch if they decide to flee the scene. The dryer can also be used vertically and horizontally. It’s one of the most functional dryers on our list, if not the most functional.
- Compact design
- Includes multiple attachments
- Durable steel construction
- Includes a 6ft hose and 12ft cord for better maneuvering
- 2 air and motor speeds
- Air filter is easy to change
- Can be used vertically or horizontally because of its dual mounted legs
- Some dog owners complained that the dryer was too loud
- ①Output power: 2400W adjustable / Voltage 110/120V
- ②Airflow variable: 65MPH-135MPH, Fits from tiny cats to large breeds
The SHELANDY 3.2 HP Dryer and Heater is great for those on a budget, because it’s less expensive but still boasts the features of high-end dryers. It has four layers to promote noise reduction, which is great for skittish pups. It has adjustable speed and temperature settings and has enough power to dry most sized dogs.
- Great option for those on a budget
- Variable wind speed options
- Includes a device with four layers for noise reduction
- Adjustable temperature control
- Has a 65-inch spring hose
- Includes 4 different nozzle options
- One year warranty
- 2400W and 110-125V
- The power cord and hose are located on the same end of the vacuum, which may make maneuvering difficult
- Some reviewers with thick furred dogs complained that it took longer to dry them
- Constructed with steel shell and the motor is designed for hard use for years.
- Variable Air Speeds & Heats. Stand adjusts from 33 inch to 51 inch and rolls on four lockable...
Let’s go ahead and state the obvious. The “Flying Pig” is a rad brand name. Besides their really cool name, they also have a reputation for developing and designing really great products. This dryer has a flexible 360-degree rotating nozzle and a tilting head for added convenience. It has a high air flow but uses low pressure to keep your pup feeling comfortable. It has an adjustable stand and includes an overload switch to prevent overheating. We always love added safety features!
- High air flow with low pressure for comfortable drying
- Includes an optional heating element that can be turned off
- Has an overload switch to prevent overheating
- 240 CFM rating
- 1800W and 110V
- Adjustable stand
- 360-degree rotating nozzle and tilting head
- 120-inch hose with two nozzle options and a filter
- One year warranty
- Several of the complaints related to the plastic hardware and amount of vibration, though replacing the hardware with metal screws seemed to fix the problem
- Features 2 speeds and 2 adjustable temperature controls
- Power: 2400W Voltage: 110V Air Speed : 25M/S - 50M/S Temperature : 30℃-70℃
The Go Pet Club Pet Dryer is functional, inexpensive, and durable. It has two speed settings and two temperature options. It is puncture-resistant, which is generally a pretty great add-on for any dog owner. It is lightweight and has an attached handle for easy portability and travel. It’s budget friendly and can handle most dog drying needs.
- Has 2 speed and temperature options
- Has a puncture-resistant design
- Designed with noise control technology
- Includes a handle for easy portability
- Lightweight design
- Includes multiple hose attachments options
- 2400W and 110V
- Some reviewers advised that the dryer has a tendency to overheat
- Constructed with steel shell and the motor is design for hard use for years
- Equipped 10 ft. flexible Hose/two different nozzles & filter/1 Year Warranty
The Flying Pig made it on our list a second time with their High Velocity Dryer and Heater. It is a standard size dryer and can be used to tackle all of your dog drying needs. It has adjustable speed and temperature settings as well as multiple nozzle and color options. It’s reasonably priced and has enough power to dry dogs with average hair length. It is also low-pressured so a small dog won’t feel any discomfort.
- Includes a 10ft flexible hose
- Adjustable speed
- Three temperature control settings
- Durable steel design
- 240 CFM rating
- Multiple nozzle options
- Includes a handle for added portability
- 1800W and 110V
- Good price range
- Some reviewers complained that the hose and the hose attachments tended to fall off, break, or were difficult to hold
- You can now save time, money, and enjoy washing and drying your dogs at home, making for happier,...
- The Fido Max 1 can be used to De-Shed your dog's coat and even has the ability to give a light...
This dryer is perfect for owners whose dogs sport thinner short coats. It does not have a heat emitter, so the air is always cool and comfortable. You won’t have to stress about your dog’s sensitive skin becoming irritated due to the heat. It weighs under 13Ibs, so it is lightweight and easy to carry. It includes a 10ft cord and 6ft hose for greater ease of use, and can be used for drying, massaging, or blowing out dirt and debris from your dog’s fur.
- Includes several nozzle attachments
- Weigh just under 13 Ibs
- Can be used to dry your dog’s coat, massage their skin, and blow out dirt and debris
- 165 CFM rating
- 2 speed options
- Includes 10ft cord
- Designed with a 6ft hose
- Does not use warm air, which some dog owners prefer, especially for small pups and those with short thin hair
- Not an option for dog owners who want a dryer that blows warm air or has multiple heat settings
- All steel construction
- Portable pet dryer , cuts drying time by up to 70%
We wanted to include a handheld dryer on our list and we knew just the one we wanted to recommend. The Metro Vacuum Air Force Quick Draw Dryer is compact and weighs only 3Ibs. It comes with a 6ft hose and two nozzle attachments for added versatility and convenience. It boasts a durable steel design and comes with a handy shoulder strap and mounting hook. Don’t let the small size fool you, because this dryer can handle your toughest jobs.
- Compact and handheld design
- Includes a shoulder strap and mounting hook for easy portability and travel
- Durable steel design
- 950W and 120V for a powerful handheld dryer
- Includes a 6ft hose
- Includes two additional nozzles
- Weighs only 3 Ibs
- Blows warm air
- Some dog owners reported that their dog was skittish of the noise
- Does not have multiple speed settings
- ①Professional Pet Dryer.This pet dryer is a great choice when you need to dry your pets...
- ②This pet hair dryer can blow water,dirt,debris,etc efficiently from fur.Comes with spring hose...
This dryer has everything you could need and then some. It has adjustable speed and heat settings along with a functional and extremely efficient design. To clean and remove the filter, all you have to do is simply take off the dust cover. It has an ergonomic handle for comfortable travel and has anti-skid legs to keep the dryer stable and balanced on the floor. The inner copper parts make this a well oiled and durable machine that will last you through countless grooming sessions.
- 2 air speed options
- 2 heat settings
- Includes four nozzle options
- Durable inner copper parts to keep the motor tough and stable while running
- Design includes an ergonomic handle for easier portability
- The dust cover is easy and simple to remove, so you won’t have any issues getting to the filter
- Has anti-skid legs to keep the dryer off the floor and more stable
- A small number of reviewers complained that the dryer made excess noise and that the low air pressure was too high
- 【Powerful Blow Force & Stepless Adjustable Speed】Professional pet hair dryer equipped with a...
- 【Quickly Dry】Our product can work at a safe temperature all the time! It has a heater with...
The final dryer on our list is the High Velocity Pet Dryer by CHAOLUN. It sports a noise reduction design with its thickened metal exterior case. It has three nozzle attachments and is available in 8 bright colors. It has adjustable speed and temperature settings and is inexpensively priced. It’s also just over 9 Ibs, so it’s exceptionally lightweight.
- Thickened metal case to help reduce noise
- Comes with three nozzles
- Includes a warranty for product defects and replacements
- 600W-2400W and 120V
- Two temperature options
- Adjustable speed
- Weighs just over 9Ibs
- Inexpensive price
- A few dog owners complained that the dryer made a high pitched squealing noise
- Some reviewers felt that the dryer lacked enough power to dry thick dog fur
Let’s Sum Things Up
Grooming can be difficult, especially when you aren’t using the right tools. Dog dryers are designed specifically for dog grooming and are much better adapted to their hair than the regular hair dryers we use on ourselves. Our favorite, the K-9 III Dog Grooming Dryer, is our top pick because of its power, durability, and professional level design. It’s able to tackle even the toughest grooming jobs and is the favorite of many dog groomers around the globe.
There are many other great dryer products on the market today. The best ones sport functional and durable designs, reduce noise, and are easy to store and carry. Depending on what your grooming routine looks like, you may choose one or more dryer types to complete your tasks. No matter what dryer you decide to purchase, we hope that it makes your life easier and your grooming sessions more pleasant and enjoyable for both you and your dog.
Last update on 2021-08-05 at 04:26 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API