If you and your dog are huge soccer fans, then get excited because there is a soccer ball out there to answer the call. Clearly, there are a lot of different types of dog balls on the market.
What ball works best for soccer-loving dogs? We are going to answer that question by providing you with our favorite recommendations, including our top pick, the Jolly Pets Soccer Ball, along with our tips on what makes a ball right for soccer.
A Quick Look at the Best Soccer Balls for Dogs:
What Makes a Ball the Right Fit for Soccer?
A soccer ball needs to be safe, tough, and fun. Finding the right toy for your dog can sometimes feel like pulling teeth. It’s never fun to see a new toy torn to shreds within minutes of bringing it home. Don’t stress because we have a few tips about the characteristics that will increase the chances of your dog’s new soccer ball surviving months of playtime.
It can’t be said enough just how important safety is, no matter what product you’re buying for your dog. Our dogs depend on us to keep them healthy and happy. Toys may seem innocent, but on rare occasions, they can be a dangerous health hazard.
A good place to start if you’re trying to determine if a product is safe is to examine the packaging. Manufacturers typically want to advertise about their product’s safety features, since it’s a high priority for most dog owners. Dog toys are often made from plastic or rubber, or some kind of blended material. Check to see if they advertise their materials as “non-toxic”. You’ll find that many manufacturers who use non-toxic materials want their consumers to know it.
If you’re suspicious about the materials or the truthfulness of the manufacturer’s marketing, do a quick online search to see whether the materials have a solid reputation. Furthermore, it may be a good idea to determine where the manufacturer is located. Does that location have high safety standards? If a particular manufacturer or product material has a bad reputation among other dog owners, then you might want to skip that one and consider something else.
Whether you’re an experienced dog owner or new to the dog parenting life, it’s likely you’ve seen what a dog or puppy can do to an inadequate toy. This can become an expensive pattern of destruction. Soccer balls are generally pretty tough, but you don’t want to risk your dog mutilating their soccer boy, and especially not one of your own!
Soccer balls designed specifically for dogs are commonly made with some type of plastic or rubber material. Whatever the primary material is, it should be thick and resistant to tearing and cracking. There are a number of manufacturers with long-standing reputations for constructing durable dog toys. A few of those made our list below.
If you’ve found a toy that your dog just really loves, but you’re a little hesitant about whether the ball will hold up, check and see if the toy has a warranty. Most manufacturers typically have manufacturer defect warranties, but sometimes you’ll luck up and find one with a more generous warranty. Price is also something to consider. If you’re going to spend a lot on a soccer ball, then you definitely don’t want to replace it often. If it’s inexpensive, then you may worry less about having to purchase another one. Either way, always supervise your dog while they play, especially if the toy may have some inefficiencies.
Bounce and Buoyancy
Soccer balls should have a little bit of bounce, at least if you’re thinking like a soccer player. You want it to be light enough that it’ll soar with a good solid kick, but maybe not bouncy enough that it’s like dealing with a bouncy ball on a tile floor. Your dog may prefer a ball with more bounce, so consider what you want out of your soccer ball and if the amount of bounce will affect your dog’s interest in the ball.
If your dog is a sea otter by day and a soccer player by night, you may want a soccer ball that floats. My local dog park has two small ponds. When my dogs and I made a visit, I need toys that are great for fetch and can act as water toys. If your dog fits into the water dog category, either by breed or by a pure love of the water, then we recommend looking at soccer balls that are also buoyant.
There’s a reason that basketballs are designed the way they are. All the little exterior bumps help us grip the ball while dribbling, playing, and shooting hoops. Let’s translate that to a soccer ball. Dogs can’t exactly kick a soccer ball into the goal, but they can bite, push, and roll it in the direction they want to go. Soccer balls typically have seams that run along each of the exterior hexagons. The seams should be thick, and we mean really thick. Your dog will likely bite along the seams to grip it, so make sure the seams are well constructed and are easy to locate. If your dog can’t find anything to grip on, then they may give up playing with it altogether.
If you’re purchasing a plastic or rubber ball that isn’t designed exactly like a soccer ball you or I might play with, then it should at least have a uniform design. A grippy design is recommended, though there are some hard plastic balls with no grips that can be great for dogs. It really depends on your dog’s preference. If your dog will happily push a plastic ball around the yard with their snout, then bite grip isn’t important. However, if your dog is used to chewing on a ball or playing fetch, then a grippy exterior may be more ideal.
If you want to see some examples of soccer balls in action, check out this video. You’ll notice in the video that there are many different kinds of soccer balls with different methods of play. Some of the soccer balls are designed to be pushed around while others can be picked up or bounced across the yard like a game of fetch. Soccer ball toys are fun and versatile, so you’re sure to find a way to keep your dog happy and distracted.
These Are Our Favorite Soccer Balls for Dogs
- This ball won't deflate! The Jolly Pets Soccer Ball is made from Jolly Flex Material, which means...
- Large Size/8 Inch Diameter: This Soccer Ball Dog toy is 8 inches in diameter, and is ideal for dogs...
Jolly Pets knows how to design an indestructible ball that dogs will love. This ball is our favorite because it has all the characteristics we just discussed. It’s safe, grippy, buoyant, and has the right amount of bounce for hours of enjoyable play.
This ball is great for the dog owner who wants to partake in the soccer-playing fun, because it’s close to the same size of your average soccer ball. It’s available in 3 colors, is water safe, and designed to stay inflated. With an 8 inch diameter, it’s also a really great size for almost any dog.
- Extremely durable
- Appropriate amount of bounce
- Approximately the same size as a normal soccer ball
- Three color options
- Designed to remain inflated
- A small number of reviewers complained that their dogs were able to tear the ball, though this was a rare complaint, and there were overall very few negative complaints in general.
- FUN FOR PETS AND PET PARENTS: These interactive dog toys are fun for pets and pet parents, allowing...
- FLOATS IN WATER: Rubber and foam construction of this Chuckit! fetch toy allows engaging playtime on...
I’m personally a huge fan of any and all Chuckit! products. They’re reliable, durable, and my dogs absolutely love them. A huge number of dog owners agree with me on this, Chuckit! products are just hard to beat. This ball, in particular, puts an interesting spin on the soccer ball design.
It’s constructed with grooves that have a ton of grip, so any dog, big or small, can get a handle on it. It’s constructed from canvas and rubber and is lightweight and easy to kick due to it’s inner foam center. It’s buoyant and available in two sizes. Oh, and there’s a glow-in-the-dark option! The glow in the dark option may be a fun option if you have young children who get excited about nighttime play.
- Affordably priced
- Durable canvas and rubber materials
- Foam center allows for easy kicking
- Available in two sizes
- Can be purchased in a glow-in-the-dark version
- Floats well in water
- Grooved sides make it easier for dogs of all sizes to bite and carry
- Though the ball itself is very durable, the material may suffer from puncture holes if your dog has a strong bite force
- HIGH QUALITY AND SOFT PLUSH SOCCER BALL - Plush Soccer Made Of High-quality Soft Plush Material And...
- FLUFFY AND DURABLE SMALL SOCCER BALL - The Edge Of The Fluffy Stuffed Soccer Plush Is Sewn With...
We wanted to spice things up a bit by including this plush soccer ball by T Play. This ball is ideal for dogs who would rather play and chase instead of chew and destroy. It’s soft and squishy and is pretty durable for a plush ball. It’s great for kicking around in your backyard or inside your home. If you have children, this is an especially good option, since they are less likely to hurt themselves or damage items in your home while playing with it.
- Highly recommended for dogs that love to play with plush toys
- Soft and lightweight
- Durable material
- Ideal for indoor and outdoor play
- Great for playing with kids
- Affordably priced
- Not recommended for dogs who are aggressive chewers
- DURABLE TREAT-DISPENSING CHEW TOY: Take your fun outdoors with the Orbee-Tuff Sports line. Made from...
- BOUNCY & BUOYANT: Orbee-Tuff Sports dog chew toys can be used in both water and on land! Your pup...
This ball is extremely durable and is also a really great size for most dogs. The Orbee-Tuff Soccer Ball is ideal for medium-sized dogs because of its smaller size. Unlike some of the other balls on our list, this ball can be picked up and carried by medium-sized dogs. This is a plus, especially if your dog is a little smaller and prefers to carry their ball around with them.
It’s got a good amount of bounce, is buoyant, and has a 100% satisfaction guarantee warranty.
- 5-inch diameter, so it’s ideal for medium-sized dogs
- Has a good amount of bounce
- Floats well in water
- Has a 100% satisfaction guarantee warranty
- Durable materials
- It may be a little small if you’re wanting to play soccer alongside your dog, but it’s a great size for kids
- A small number of reviewers complained that their dogs were able to tear the ball apart, though this was not common
- ULTRA DURABLE - Throw your pump away— the One World Futbol doesn’t need it! This unpoppable...
- ALL-SURFACE PLAY - These non-popping balls are suitable for any surface, from grass to city streets...
This ball is great because not only is it durable and fun, but purchasing it helps communities in need. A portion of One World Play Project proceeds go towards purchasing play equipment for communities in need. What soccer enthusiast wouldn’t want to get behind that?
This ball is designed to be non-deflating, unpoppable, and extremely durable. It comes in two size options and three bright colors. The only drawback is the price, but with such big promises, it just might be worth it! A high number of dog owners seem to think so.
- Available in two sizes and three colors
- Non-toxic durable materials
- A portion of proceeds go to communities in need
- Ethically manufactured
- Manufacturer tested to be tough, unpoppable, and non-deflating
- Definitely on the more expensive side in comparison to other similar products
- VIRTUALLY INDESTRUCTIBLE - The Boomer Ball is the ultimate tough toy and ideal for those...
- EXERCISE AND STIMULATION are promoted through the use of the Boomer Ball
A great feature of the Boomer Ball by The Company of Animals is that it’s available in four different sizes and all with competitive prices. It’s built to withstand aggressive chewing and is constructed of polyethylene material. It’s a great option for hyperactive dogs and aggressive chewers.
It’s buoyant and floats well in water. The bright red and blue color options make it highly visible, so you’ll easily find it in the yard and in the water. This toy is designed to be pushed around the yard and not picked up, so your dog will get plenty of exercise running it all over the yard.
- Four size options each with an affordable price
- Built out of durable polyethylene material
- Buoyant and great for water play
- Two bright color options for high visibility
- Great for aggressive chewers and high energy dogs
- Not ideal for dogs who prefer carrying, fetching, or chewing on a ball
- The Large Bounce-N-Play measures 8 inches in diameter and is ideal for dogs weighing over 60 pounds
- This Bounce-N-Play dog toy is just like the Original Jolly Ball (the Tug-N-Toss), but without the...
It’s no surprise that another Jolly Pets ball made our favorites list. This ball is available in three sizes. The two largest sizes, 6-inch and 8-inch, are the two we recommend if you’re wanting to purchase a ball for kicking around.
It comes in three bright color options for high visibility. It’s designed to float well in water and constructed to handle just about anything you and your dog can kick or throw at it. It’s affordably priced and based on the many positive reviews it has earned, it will last you a long time too. Another perk that is pretty unique to this ball is that it is available in three scents: vanilla, bubblegum, and blueberry.
- Available in three bright color options
- Buoyant and floats well in water
- Available in three sizes, though the 6-inch and 8-inch are more appropriate for kicking
- Made of durable non-toxic polyethylene plastic
- Available in three scent options
- A small number of reviewers reported that their dogs were able to tear into the ball, though this was not a common complaint
- A few reviewers were disappointed that their dogs weren’t able to bite into the ball like they might have if the ball were made of rubber instead of plastic
Let’s Put It All Together
We’ve gotten down to the end of our article, so let’s take a moment to put everything we’ve talked about together. We think any of our 7 recommendations would be a great option for you and your dog. Our favorite, the Jolly Pets Soccer Ball, is a highly rated soccer ball that is built to impress. Your dog will love chasing it around and because of its great size, you can join in on the fun!
As you can tell from our list, there are a lot of different ways that soccer ball toys can be designed. Just remember the characteristics we recommended earlier. Check the materials to ensure they are safe and durable so you won’t be picking up shreds of it around your yard or house. Consider how much bounce your dog might like and decide if you want a ball that floats. If your dog likes to bite or carry their ball, then you will also want to judge the size of the ball and how flexible the material is.
We feel confident in you and hope that we were able to give you helpful advice. Whatever soccer ball you end of choosing, we know you and your dog will make an incredible soccer-playing team.
Last update on 2021-08-05 at 04:06 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API